Manchester City host RB Leipzig in the second leg of their Champions League quarterfinal tie on Tuesday night, hoping to make amends for their performance in the first leg at the Red Bull Arena.
The Premier League champions were held to a 1-1 draw by Die Roten Bullen three weeks ago in the first leg, but facing the Citizens on their home turf could be a completely different ballgame.
After Riyad Mahrez gave the English champions the lead with a goal at the 27-minute mark, Leipzig came out transformed after the break and deservedly tied the game through Gvardiol’s header with 20 minutes remaining, leaving the tie precariously poised heading into Tuesday’s rematch.
Pep Guardiola’s men are still fighting for three trophies this season, and they’ve won four straight games since being defeated at the Red Bull Arena. However, on Saturday night, it took a penalty from Erling Braut Haaland to defeat a resilient Crystal Palace team, and the Eagles came out on top, 1-0, at Selhurst Park.
Man City have a shot at history this week if they can avoid their first last-16 exit since losing to Monaco in the 2016-17 season. If they win, they will extend their unbeaten home run in the Champions League to 14 years, matching Arsenal’s record.
The Citizens have won 21 of their 23 home matches in Europe’s top competition, and their current winning streak at the Etihad stands at six matches across all competitions following their New Year’s Eve draw with Everton.
Marco Rose, head coach of RB Leipzig, acknowledges the support of the crowd on February 22, 2023.
Manchester City Vs RB Leipzig Preview
As of right now, RB Leipzig is third in the Bundesliga and has put up some solid numbers. The visitors are coming into this game off a 3-0 weekend victory over Borussia Monchengladbach and will be looking to repeat that performance.
The City of Manchester, on the other hand, is having a pretty good season so far and is currently in second place in the Premier League.
The Citizens won their last game by a score of 1-0 over Crystal Palace, and they will be looking to take their game to a new level this time around. Football club Manchester City
How To Watch And Odds
- Date: Tuesday, March 13 2023 | Time: 4 p.m. ET
- Location: Etihad Stadium — Manchester, England
- Live stream: Paramount+
- Odds: Man City -270; Draw +380; Leipzig +700 (via Caesars Sportsbook)
Only twice before, in the group stages of the previous season, did these two clubs face each other. Both sides were able to take home a share of the loot.
At the Etihad, a thrilling nine-goal contest ended with City emerging victorious, 6-3. City’s six goals were scored by a total of six different players: Jack Grealish, Riyad Mahrez, and Nathan Ake, as well as the recently departed Gabriel Jesus and Joao Cancelo. There was an own goal for the sixth.
For RB, the incredible hat trick scored by Christopher Nkunku was the difference. The French star will soon be playing for Chelsea in the English Premier League, so keep an eye on him in the return leg if you’re in the UK.
Dominik Szoboszlai and Andre Silva scored for Leipzig in the first meeting, with Riyad Mahrez scoring a late consolation for the visitors. Leipzig won, 2-1.
Losing teams in both games were dealt red cards, with Angelino (formerly of City) receiving one at the Etihad and Kyle Walker (of the Red Bulls) being shown the door at the Red Bull Arena. Both of these stadiums have come under fire over the years, and their names are a tribute to their controversial owners.
Man City vs. RB Leipzig Matchups and Vital Stats
- After three meetings, Manchester City and RB Leipzig have a head-to-head record split evenly with each team holding a solitary victory.
- Manchester City has won only one of their last four games against German opponents in the UEFA Champions League, following a streak of nine straight victories against such opponents.
- RB Leipzig has lost their last three UEFA Champions League away games against English clubs after beating Tottenham Hotspur in 2019.
- Manchester City has scored two or more goals in each of their last nine UEFA Champions League home games against German opponents, resulting in nine consecutive wins for City.
- RB Leipzig has gone five games without a loss in the UEFA Champions League, their longest such run in the tournament since the 2018-19 season.
Champions League matches, including City vs. Leipzig, are broadcast exclusively in Canada on DAZN. DAZN is a global live-sports streaming service, rather than a traditional linear channel. It has exclusive streaming rights to the Champions League, Europe’s premier club soccer tournament.
Find Out the Latest Breaking News From Around the World: Melodicnews.com